Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Traditional Vs Contemporary


So this is my remix video. We were asked to compare traditional and contemporary art work. I chose dance. My video started out with a couple ballroom dancing. I viewed this part as old fashion party dancing. You know when you watch older movies, when there is a party scene, they are always formally dancing. Then it changed to more up to date music from today, a song called "The Wop." That is the kind of music most kids listen to at parties these days and that us how we dance most of the time. That was my first example with the ballroom dancing being used as traditional, and the hip-hop song used as contemporary.

I used ballet as another comparison. I started off with your classical ballet company doing a section of Waltz of the Snowflakes from Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker." I then changed it to a contemporary version of the Waltz of the Snowflakes, called "The Hard Nut" which was done by Mark Morris. This is a perfect comparison I think because it shows the differences between classical ballet which is on Pointe, and then contemporary ballet which is sometimes on Pointe, but in this version, some of the dancers dance bare-footed.

I personally had a lot of fun remixing my own video. I got the chance to use Camtasia, which I had never used before, and I learned how to post things onto YouTube. I honestly had no pre-requisite as to what I wanted my remix video to look like. I am completely happy with it though it was definitely a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment