Sunday, April 24, 2011

Traditional Montagnard Dance

Dance is one of the most common things one would recognize as “traditional.” I remember watching old western movies or movies about Indians, and they always had dances. Most of what I remember would be around a campfire. Even in cartoons, a good example and one that completely sticks out in my head would be the cartoon version of Peter Pan. When the brothers joined the Indian tribe, there was a scene where they all danced around the fire and chanted some noises. I don’t know why I remember that.

           Either way, I am very interested in the Montagnards traditional dances, how they were started, and what they represent. I think it would be really awesome to speak to someone who knows or remembers the traditional dances and can give me some background information on them.
           As a dancer, I am exposed to many different styles of dances. Most are known all over the world, which is why they are taught. I just never get learn about cultural dances. I think it would be really beneficial for dancers to be knowledgeable on as many different styles of dancing and as many different cultures of dancing as we possibly can. It broadens our horizon and shows that there are more dances out there than just ballet and modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment